Indian "post office"

Even though I am here working I thought it was not unreasonable to send some postcards. However, after all the fuss I am not sending any more! Wrote them in the normal postcard fashion and took them to Nimmiyamputtur post office but they did not do air mail. Second attempt, went to Alangayam post office but she said I needed to put them in a cover (meaning envelope). I explained they were going to different places so I could not put them in 1 cover so she said I needed several covers and to write the address that is on the postcard again but on the cover, decided I would bring a national to help. Third attempt (with national), the post office was closed midweek all day, why? no one could say. Fourth attempt, Thiru explained to the woman the mystery that is the postcard but she still insisted they go in covers.

Indian's are very respectful about showing flesh and get frustrated at some of us when we are showing upper arms and chest so I assume it may also translate that I need to cover my shameful writing so people don't have to read my smut. We have taken to calling envelopes, shame covers (this term also covers scarves and shawls for flesh shame coverage). I don't understand why they can have their bellies on show in sarees but ah well!

On this final attempt I succumbed and agreed to pay the 1p for each of the shame covers and had to write the address again on the front. At one point I accidentally wrote it on the back of the envelope which Thiru panicked about and said I must write it again on the front but that would be the address in triplicate which I outright refused to do so it may not arrive at its destination. However, after all that effort I am not confident that any will arrive.
















I look forward to no shame covers on postcards.
















Stamps which are sadly not on the postcards themselves.
















Bag of paste for stamp and envelope sticking.
















Rant over, found Mountain Dew in Alangayam for 10 Rs. so balance is once again restored. 

Comments

  1. And you think you've had a hard day..... you want to have a go with some of my younger students....lol. anyway... time for us both to chill out me thinks...lol xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Vainu Bappu Observatory

Ain't no stopping us now

REACT